Blog Entry #3


REFLECTION

I interviewed Edith, a kindergarten bilingual teacher, from the school I am currently student teaching at in Katy ISD. In Edith’s classroom, the use of comprehensible input techniques are well incorporated due to numerous visual aids like pictures, videos, discussions, and hands-on activities. These activities and practices help create more meaningful and authentic connections for the students rather than just teaching them in a bland kind of way. Edith wants to ensure that the learning environment is safe and enjoyable for the students to be in. Social support is present in her classroom and this is the “support from significant others (including parents, siblings, peers and teachers), since believing that they want one to learn the language creates rewards and reinforcements that may be important in boosting motivation” (Ortega, 2013, Section 8.3, para. 1). As I was learning more about how her students learn and practice their second language (English), it amazed me how most of the children can get past, present, and future tenses confused in Spanish so imagining how it would be like to do the same for English must be challenging for these five year olds. Additionally, adjectives in Spanish can sometimes be before or after a noun and the students in Edith’s class can oftentimes place the adjective incorrectly. This is a type of learner-initiated negotiation of form and “this form is partly a natural consequence of formal instruction contexts. After all, students join language classes for the very concrete business of learning the L2” (Ortega, 2013, Section 4.10, para. 1). As mentioned earlier, Edith tries to make bridges between Spanish and English for the students by incorporating visual aids, gestures, discussions, and finding cognates in the lessons for a better understanding.

Comments

  1. Hello Alora! Thank you for sharing this interesting interview. I loved what your colleague said about how she feels it is important for the students to feel safe. I really do believe that students are able to learn and succeed in an environment that they feel safe and like they belong. When I was an ELL there would be times when I would feel too scared to speak up and make mistakes. I really love how Ms. Edith talked about how she wants her students to make mistakes so she can help them find the correct way to say/write something. I also think that Ms. Edith’s attitude towards her students and their learning is really impactful on them. Ortega states “attitudes towards the formal learning context have been shown to exert a lasting and important influence on motivation (pg. 190).” Ms. Edith’s attitude and her motivation to help her students will transfer to them. Their attitudes will be positive if she continues to shower them with positive attitude! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Genesis! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed my interview with Edith and can connect with how her students feel like since you experienced being an ELL in school as well! I agree with you that students will be more motivated and willing to learn the second language and even the material when the learning environment is positive. An individual who is learning a new language should be encouraged and respected and that includes helping them realize that it’s okay to make mistakes or to be unsure at times. It’s part of learning!

      Delete
  2. Hello Alora, awesome interview and video. Edith really sounds so helpful and calm which gives me the impression that she has a positive attitude towards her students. Her interaction gives meaningful and genuine connection for the students which provide a learning environment where the students can feel welcome. Her classroom feels like she is thriving for her students to become a “‘truly motivated individual” (pg.170). I found interesting how Edith attempts to connect Spanish and English for the students by incorporating activities and lessons with cognates for a better understanding. This is a great method of using the universal source cognition since earlier from our readings Ortega mentioned that, “universal influences that help shape the nature, pace, route and finish line in the path towards learning a second language” (pg.9). I truly like how Edith does a fine profession in finding and promoting positive attitudes and motivations towards her students. Her years of experience certainly help in providing great information towards SLA understanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mary! Thank you for your comment! Just like you, I find Edith to be very positive and helpful towards her students. It is very important for the teacher and even the classroom to be welcoming and stress-free. I have actually seen Edith helping the students connect Spanish and English by using visual aids and cognates. The students really find it helpful! I agree that this definitely helps the students learn a second language in an effective and differentiated way.

      Delete
    2. Yes I can picture Edith having fun as well in the stress-free classroom. It helps a lot with the students in having better connection with Spanish and English when the environment and teacher bond so positive. The students can learn a second language while having a great time doing so. Awesome job once again Alora.

      Delete
  3. Hi Alora! It was nice hearing your interview with a bilingual teacher! I like that Edith focuses the importance on her students feeling safe to share what they feel or what they want to say in class freely. I think it plays an important role for students when they can feel comfortable and learn openly. I also like the fact that Edith uses the iPad to motivate her students, which gives them intrinsic motivation because they want to do good, learn and work to help themselves. This creates eagerness for students because they enjoy learning their new language. According to Ortega, “This quality of motivation is considered optimal because it has been experimentally shown to be consistently associated to higher levels of achievement (Vansteenkiste et al., 2006). An L2 learner would be intrinsically motivated, according to the LLOS, if she said she studied the L2 for the ‘high’ she feels when hearing/ speaking the foreign language (stimulation), for the pleasure of ‘surpassing oneself’ and ‘grasping a difficult language concept’ (self-accomplishment), or for the sheer satisfaction to know more (knowledge). Note that the characteristic feature in all three cases is enjoyment (Ortega, 2012, p. 136). I think Edith does a great job on making her students feel like they are doing great in their learning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Emerald! It is very inspiring to learn about how Edith incorporates second language acquisition strategies for her students and even her goals or attitude towards teaching! The learning environment should be a safe and comfortable place for students to be in. Edith also wants her students to be intrinsically motivated since they will ultimately be the ones who find the desire to learn a second language. The fact that Edith makes these her goals is fantastic!

      Delete
    2. I agree! I think that it is also such a benefit that Edith can also speak Spanish. I think this can be very useful when teaching students English as their L2 language. I believe that sharing the same L1 language with your students creates a more personal relationship with them because they feel like you understand where they are coming from more. Thank you for sharing your interview with us!

      Delete
  4. Hello Alora,

    I have really enjoyed your interview with Ms. Edith. You can tell she is passionate about being a bilingual teacher and knows the positive pathway to leading her students to become better at learning English and Spanish. One thing that stood out to me was when she mentioned the cognitive state her students experience with similar words that sound the same in English and Spanish to students learning both languages. My son is in a bilingual class and I noticed he does the same cognitive approach when reading in Spanish or English. For example, when he is reading in English and has trouble decoding a word, he will say sounds in Spanish and vice versa. I also found her motivation strategy interesting, students enjoy being competitive with their friends motivates learning. In the article reading Kaboody (2013) states, “The individual level consists of the learner characteristics that language learners bring to the classroom. However, the learning situation involves various factors including the classroom environment, teacher, learning context, teaching methods, classmates, and teacher personality” (pg. 45).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Angelita! I am so glad that you enjoyed my interview video with Edith! It is great to hear that your son incorporates both Spanish and English when learning new words and sounds. Edith allows and encourages her students to use both languages when learning new material and I find this to be really beneficial for the students! The majority of the students are not afraid or pressured to just speak the new language. Rather, they can use their native language to help them during the learning process!

      Delete
    2. Alora, I also feel it is beneficial for the students to use both languages when learning new material because I think it will build the students motivation to learn. Kind of like they have that option to chose and feel they have control of their learning by choosing to switch from L1 to L2 . This does take pressure off students learning, it helps or prevents students from developing fear or anxiety towards learning a new language.

      Delete
  5. Hi, Alora! Thank you for sharing your interview with Edith. It is great that Edith motivates her students, wants them to feel that they are in a safe environment, and teaches them that it is okay to make mistakes. I agree that it is important for students to feel confident and understand that it is okay to makes mistakes because “safe classroom environments are the most productive in involving the learner in the learning process” (Kaboody, 2013, p.49). I thought it was interesting how cognates play a role in student learning and using strategies like looking for similar sounds. This seems like a great way to help students make connections. I love that Edith uses her tablet to show her great they are doing and to encourage them. This creates such a positive attitude towards learning that is beneficial for all students! How would incorporate some of the same strategies into your own classroom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Daijah! Thank you for your comment! I believe that before formal instruction actually takes place in the classroom, the teacher should ensure that the learning environment is safe, positive, and comfortable for the students. Edith made this known and I find this goal to be really great! Part of learning a new language is making mistakes and learning from those mistakes. Edith inspired me to help my future students realize this and to have a growth mindset to learning! I actually like her idea with incorporating iPads or any form of technology to show their progress and to encourage them as well!

      Delete
  6. The first thing that stood out to me from your interview was Edith mentioning that she wants to make sure her students feel safe. In the article we read last week about motivation, it stated that “teachers should create a safe, welcoming, and non-intimidating teaching environment” (Kaboody, 2013). Edith went on to say that even when she corrects her students, she does not want them to feel bad, but to know that mistakes are acceptable. Her response was extremely similar to the response I got from the interview I did with a 7th grade Math teacher who has ELLs in her classroom. From your interview I can see how important it is to Edith to create a safe teaching environment in which students are encouraged to use their voice because they feel safe and protected from embarrassment and sarcasm. Moreover, I think that social support in which you mention in your reflection has an influential motivational impact on her students learning. As a future educator, I definitely want to create a classroom community that consistently sustains high levels of motivation and engagement. It seems to me that Edith does a great job at making her students feel like valuable members of a community.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alora Delacuz,
    I think it's wonderful that Edith makes sure that her students are in a safe environment where they feel comfortable. I definitely think that it's important and necessary in order to have a meaningful learning environment for our students. I also love that she uses manipulatives to make bridges between the Spanish and English language. I also plan on using these strategies with my future classroom. You are going to be such a great teacher in our own classroom, thank you for sharing.
    Laura Hernandez

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Entry #4

Blog Entry Post #2