Blog Entry #4
Reflection Writing My understanding of second language acquisition has definitely improved and the questions or concerns I had about learning a second or additional language have been clarified due to what I have learned in this class. I knew that learning a new language can be challenging and frustrating, in general, but I was not quite sure about why or how people found language learning to be like this. There are numerous factors that influence the way an individual approaches and learns a new language such as the learner’s motivation, their age of acquiring the language, and the linguistic environment that he or she is in. This course focused on these factors and was so specific that it helped me expand my knowledge and understanding of language learning. As a future educator, I will definitely implement what I have learned from this class such as the various types of comprehensible input techniques like visual aids (photos, charts, videos, etc.), hands-on activities and m...
I had a similar experience growing up in a Tamil speaking household. I was able to converse in basic Tamil, but I started speaking less Tamil when I entered school for the first time. For almost 8 hours a day, my interactions were with native English speakers. Thus, I wanted to be able to speak correctly without making grammar mistakes, and I did not want to carry an accent. Also, moving around a lot must have been tough. According to Ortega (2009), “opportunities for L2 acquisition arise from travel, employment, migration, war, marriage and other such happy as well as unhappy life events” (p. 6). Although, you said it yourself, you were exposed to different cultures and languages. Perhaps the traveling motivated you in a small way to take up Spanish and French. How will you take that experience and apply it into your classroom to promote diversity? Moreover, you mentioned how the University of Houston is a safe and welcoming place. Have you identified specific features that make it physically and emotionally safe? How would you take these characteristics to create your own positive classroom climate? Additionally, Stephen Krashen discussed the importance of comprehensible input, and I find it extraordinary that you took it upon yourself to incorporate techniques such as visual aids and modeling to improve your understanding of French. The fact that you have already practiced using scaffolding strategies will definitely help you provide instruction for English language learners.
ReplyDeleteHi, Maggie! I find it very interesting that you had a similar experience as me in regards to growing up in a household with a predominantly spoken language other than English. Exposure to a new environment, such as the school, as well as a different crowd can definitely impact one’s language development! Sometimes there can be a social influence that makes a person feel pressured or motivated to speak in a similar way as the people around them. For example, you mentioned how you tried to correct yourself and speak without an accent. Additionally, I plan to incorporate both Spanish and French in my future classroom by encouraging native speakers of these languages to use this language when necessary to help them make explanations or tasks easier. It is important for students to feel welcomed and respected. If the teacher does not understand or misinterprets a student’s background, they will not know how to effectively communicate or assist the student. At the University of Houston, the events and activities that occurred typically promoted cultural awareness and community building. This made me feel safe and at ease because I knew that the campus was so dedicated on ensuring that they carry out these messages and promises on keeping the university together. I aspire to do the same for my classroom by inviting the students to participate and become closer together to build a strong, friendly community.
DeleteI can tell you have great plans to establish and maintain a classroom community that is central to celebrating diversity, and celebrating differences as a means of enriching students' classroom and holistic educational experiences. You bring up a good point about social pressures affecting how students may present themselves in class. Since I was that student who tried to mask my cultural differences, and now that I have learned the importance of celebrating multiculturalism, I plan to show my students that differences means distinctiveness not deficit.
Delete
DeleteI am inspired by your drive to show your students that having differences is absolutely okay and in fact, being different makes one special and unique. Learning a new language can be very frustrating at times, especially when native speakers are around them or if the person is simply shy and unsure with what they say pressure an individual. Just like you, I tried to hide my accent when speaking French or completely just avoid practicing with French natives, but eventually I realized that this is what makes me stand out and unique. It is very awesome that you aim to promote multiculturalism and assure your students that having differences is not wrong. You are going to be a wonderful teacher!
Alora, your passion for learning multiple languages is inspiring. I also have a high passion for learning Spanish, all languages are beautiful. It is fascinating how you had the privilege to experience different atmospheres and cultures around the world. Seeing different places and developing a real-life scenario, I believe really plays a part when learning another language. “More recent influences come from bilingualism, psycholinguistics, education, anthropology, and sociology” (Ortega, pg. 27). You are so driven and determined in learning Spanish and French, you went outside just learning the vocabulary and grammar and used visual aid and audio to help you gain the knowledge of understanding and comprehending the language. When finished mastering Spanish and French, is there another language you will want to learn next? I always have been curious in learning sign language. Your future students are going to be intrigued when they find out their teacher is multilingual, that should be a fun adventure to look forward to.
ReplyDeleteHi, Angelita! Thank you for your response. I hope that you will start or continue your passion on learning Spanish! Just like how you mentioned seeing different places and scenarios, opportunities that include traveling or meeting new people of different backgrounds and environments are very useful in enriching one’s knowledge with language and cultures. Krashen makes a wonderful point on how comprehensible input techniques can be incorporated to master a language or at least make the language simpler and more comfortable to learn. I hope to learn sign language as well! I wish you luck on learning this if you choose to do so!
DeleteAlora, your interest in many different languages and willingness to learn will be a great trait as a teacher! Because the United States is so diverse, especially Texas, it is likely that there will be students in the classroom who struggle with learning English. Since you were once in their shoes and understand how frustrating it can be, I’m sure you will have a special bond with these children. According to Ortega, it is shown that socio-affective factors such as motivation are important predictors of how successful and individual is to learning a new language. It is also important to consider different methods of transitioning students to a new language so they feel as if they are moving forward at their own pace (Ortega, 2010, p. 27). With a teacher who understands how difficult it may be, your students will know that you can truly understand their position.
ReplyDeleteHi, Emerald! Your response is so encouraging and motivational! I do feel like I can relate to my students more because I have experienced what they are feeling or going through. It is extremely important to form a strong and positive relationship with your students, in general, as well as an understanding of the student’s needs. Learning a new language can be frustrating at times, especially when there is a lack of motivational support and resources to help you. Comprehensible input techniques definitely help a person learn and improve the language they are trying to master, but these techniques must properly be implemented. As a teacher who has gone through trial-and-error with these techniques, it is beneficial for the students because they can finally learn something without being that much worried or frustrated.
DeleteGreat work Alora, please keep up the great discussion. It is very interesting. I will not comment here since you are your classmates are doing a wonderful job but I enjoyed reading your classmates' comments and your deep replies.
ReplyDelete